Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I have a Harley but know nil about maintaining them. Basic advice on how to learn? How do I meet ppl?

Since I bought my bike a year ago, I haven't done much to try and learn basics but the thing is I don't even know how to start. And it's really hurting me because problems with my bike are coming up now. I thought the best way is to make friends who ride and hang around them and pick their brain. But even in La Puente where I live I don't know how I can look up bike riders (online or classifieds?). Any words of advice on how I can get a good knowledge? Thanks.I have a Harley but know nil about maintaining them. Basic advice on how to learn? How do I meet ppl?
For starters, go to a harley dealer and buy/order the service manual for your specific bike. You'll pay for the manual in no time by doing service work yourself.





As for the socializing aspect, dealerships and biker friendly bars usually have postings of upcoming events. I meet more people when I'm just out riding than any other specific way or function. If you enjoy the ride, you'll find new friends along the way.I have a Harley but know nil about maintaining them. Basic advice on how to learn? How do I meet ppl?
The best information is in the books. Get a full set of manuals at the dealer. While you're there, find out about the local H.O.G. chapter and read the stuff on the bulletin boards. You find helpful people at charity rides, for some odd reason.
Join your local HOGS chapter. People are very friendly and will help you out.
Go on to Amazon.com and buy a book like, Motorcycles fundamentals, service, repair. I have one for the class I take on motorcycles. That's right, I'm majoring in motorcycles.





There are riding groups that enjoy touring with other motorcycle enthusiasts. Basically, they're clubs and they're easy to join.





The best thing to do is volunteer as general help to help guys out with motorcycle stuff. Then when you need help ask them.
http://www.motocom.com/motorcycles/
What?!!? its only a year old and having problems? As any Harley guy on here will tell you, thats impossible - they haven't had problems since the AMF days - they can go for 100s of thousands of miles without major repairs, they're more powerful than jet aircraft!
step one, spend the money to get the factory repair manual for your bike. They pretty much have step by step directions for most anything you would want to do yourself on the bike. step two, ask lot's of questions at you local HD dealer and also, try ';HARLEYTECH@YAHOO.COM'; ask lot's of questions and get answers from other riders as well as some HD mechanics.
hi, you can get the service manual for your bike on ebay real cheap..buy one and flip through it. the are very self explanotory...you will be suprised how much you pick up from it. as for meeting other bikers...just stop into your local harley dealer adn ask them about clubs and any scheduled rides they have coming up...take it from there..
You could try this site...


http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/
when yo see a HDat the local pub


pull in and talk to the riders


you'll find them very friendly
should have bought a real bike that you don't need to work on
  • holiday makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment