Sunday, August 22, 2010

Need advice on how to stage my home for selling?

The home is over 3,000 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2 dining areas, 3 living areas. The problem is that I got rid of most of my furniture. I no longer have any dining tables, and have only 1 living room set. One of the 4 bedrooms is empty, and I have no desk to try to set up an office. Do I try to disperse the living room set that I do have, or should I just keep it in one living area, and keep the rest empty? The no dining table makes it really difficult for the living/dining combo room to look decent. Should I keep that area and the 3rd living area empty?





Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.


And my realtor is absolutely worthless. She told me to move out of my home and keep it all empty.Need advice on how to stage my home for selling?
Sometimes, empty rooms show better than cluttered ones, or rooms with old and ugly furniture.





So, don't worry about empty spaces. Work at ';hinting'; at uses of the rooms with spare pieces of furniture.





Keep the living room furniture in the living room - as long as there is not too much clutter in that room.





Don't worry about the dining areas.





Right now, most people are focused on kitchens and bathrooms, so think about staging those 2 areas.





For the kitchen, put a bottle of wine and two glasses on a tray on the counter. Some flowers would be nice for color - fresh is best. Maybe a short stack of cookbooks or a bowl of fruit (again, stick with fresh), or one of those fake fancy cakes you see at the kitchen stores these days.





That's it. Keep the counters as clean and empty as possible with just these few homey touches.





For the bathrooms, put out some towels, for color. Try the decorator trick of tying them with ribbon or raffia. Put a nice soap pump and maybe some candles or a small bowl of potpourri on the counter. Again, keep it clean and spare, but make it look a little bit welcoming.





The main thing is to make it look light and open and bright and clean, with just a few minor decorator touches - but having no furniture allows the buyer to see their own furniture in place in your rooms.





I hope that helps.





Good luck and best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment