Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I need advice on how to stain an antique desk?

I have an old run down antique oak desk that I've been working on cleaning up for use in my home office. I want to leave the colour of the wood alone but put a clear coat to make the top of the wood harder and more resistance to scratches and bumps. Will a clear stain work or do I need to go with something else?I need advice on how to stain an antique desk?
polyurethane will provide you with a hard surface. I would use the oil based instead of the water based because it will give an amber color over the years giving the wood a nice natural color.





I also agree with the first answer, to use linseed oil. Make sure it is boiled linseed oil. Also, tung oil will give you a nice finish.I need advice on how to stain an antique desk?
After your through cleaning since it is an old desk..I would also leave the color alone... at this point all you need to do is apply polyurethane and give it a couple of coats...after the first coat you can do a light sanding then wipe it down with tack cloth and then give it a second coat.





Polyurethane protects the finish. I have a large oak entertainment center that I finished myself when I was through staining it I applied the polyurethane this also protects it from water.





+
If it's a really cool old desk, I'd use linseed oil, and rub it in by hand. That stuff works wonders on rifle stocks. But it takes a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment