Thursday, July 29, 2010

I want to grow carrots in a pot on my balcony- any advice?ie. how big a pot?should they go in my greenhouse?

The bigger the better for carrots. They don't grow very well in clay soil. A mixture of two parts ';general purpose'; compost and one part gardening sand works quite well. Don't use anything too rich or the carrots will split.





If you sow chives in the same pot, they will keep carrot fly away.I want to grow carrots in a pot on my balcony- any advice?ie. how big a pot?should they go in my greenhouse?
No need for greenhouse-you can grow nice little round carrots which only need shallow pot.Otherwise a pot about a foot deep will do.


For carrots its good to mix a bit of grit in with the compost


EDIT no need to start in seed trays--put a few more seeds in than you will need and later keep ones that look the best or you could let them all grow and pick some early as baby carrots and let the rest grow on as full size-any good compost will be fineI want to grow carrots in a pot on my balcony- any advice?ie. how big a pot?should they go in my greenhouse?
You can grow them in pots, but best in a grow bag if you can fit one on the balcony......
  • beauty products
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment